In my community, Vitamin D has been a hot topic of conversation over the last year. Has it been for you? Or do I just talk about it every day to an enamored audience and not realize y’all are wondering what all the hype is about?
It IS a very important health topic, so I want to briefly share some of what has come up in conversation with my patients recently.
- You (the collective audience): Yep I take Vitamin D every day
- Me: How much?
- You: 1 capsule every day, I don’t miss it!
- Me: Great!! But there’s one missing piece – Do you know where you’re starting so you know where you’re going?
- You: What are you talking about?
- Me: If your blood level of vitamin D3 is on the lower side, let alone out of range (I see this more often than not), 1000iu of vitamin D every day is not going to raise that level at the rate we need it to.
Medicine says 30-100 is normal. Functional Medicine, however, says people who really feel great have optimal levels between 60-80.
If your level is 23, not only do you feel like crap, your immune system is at risk for compromise. 1000iu a day barely scratches the surface. We’ve seen many, so many blood tests over the last year with very low Vitamin D levels. If you already have the habit of taking the vitamin, then make sure you’re being the most efficient with it!
Let’s think of Vitamin D as your “internal mask”. The effectiveness of your immune system is so much stronger than you’ve been told. This one is easy.
Your to-do list:
- Have your vitamin D3 levels run with bloodwork
- Do not settle for the norm. Go for optimal!
- Invest in a QUALITY Vitamin D3 (with K2) supplement
- Tell your friends. Be the commercial. Share the wealth.
This is Health.